If you take a closer look at nailing operations and nailers used on those, you will definitely know that there are different types of nailers used for different types of work. Getting to know about the nailers, you will find that finish nailers and framing nailers are two different kinds of nailers which are used for different kinds of works. But which things have made these two nailers different? Don’t you want to know that? Framing nailers and finish nailers are different from one another in different aspects. Here I am going to tell some differences between framing nailer and finish nailer. So, are you ready for taking a tour to framing nailer vs finish nailer comparison?
Framing Nailer vs Finish Nailer
1. Nail type: Obviously these two types of nailers use two different types of nails. Framing nailers are capable of throwing framing nails which are larger in size than other nails. On the other hand, finish nailers are capable of shooting finish nails which are narrow-headed and medium-sized comparing to other nails.
Framing nailers are generally 2 inches to 3-1/2 inches long and much stronger than other nails. Framing nails are larger and stronger than other nails because these are used for holding heavy construction structures. Finish nails are generally 1 inch to 2-1/2 inches long. The heads of finish nails are narrower because finish nails are used for finishing works. Narrower heads are tough to detect and thus it provides the professional finish.
2. Bond Strength and Durability: Framing nailers shoot framing nails which provide maximum strength. Framing nails are used in heavy construction works and responsible for holding the whole frame and other parts on their places, so the bonds provided by these nails should be stronger than bonds of other nailers. Besides, the durability must be longer because these are responsible for holding the frame and other components for a long time. You will never want to make a new house every year.
Comparing to framing nailers, the bond strength and durability of finish nailers might be low. As finish nails are used for finishing works which are not too heavy or not responsible for holding something heavy, the bond strength is a little lower than the framing nails. If these are less durable than framing nails, there will be no problem. Because finish works are a bit easier to perform. That’s why finish nails are less strong and durable than framing nails.
3. Uses: If you read the above two sections, you have already known that framing nailers are used for heavy construction works. Now let me describe more about this. Framing nailers are used in heavy construction and maintenance works like making a frame of a house, attaching the planks to the frame, making the decks etc. Because of the strong bond building ability of framing nailer, it is used for these type of heavy works.
On the other hand, finish nailers are used in finishing works which are less heavy than works done by framing nailers. These finishing works include preparing furniture, door and windows molding, cabinet making etc. These types of works are easier to perform than the works performed by framing nailers. This makes a valid point in framing nailer vs finish nailer argument.
4. Price: In case of price, there is not an absolute result in framing nailer vs finish nailer comparison. You will find a lot of framing and finish nailer in the almost same price range. So there is generally no actual difference between the price of framing nailers and the price of finish nailers. Manufacturers offer different specifications and features in different price ranges.
5. Weight: As like as price, the weight of the tools can’t draw a clear line in the comparison of framing nailers and finish nailers. Both types of nailers are of the same weight range. Though the manufacturers are trying to reduce the weights of the tools for the ease of the users, the weight of the tools isn’t changing at a large range. As a result, comparison of weights possesses a neutral position in framing nailer vs finish nailer comparison.
So you can see that framing nailers and finish nailers are different from each other because of the nails these nailers shoot, the works in which these are used and the strength and durability these provide. On other aspects, these two types of nailers are close to each other.