If you have a nail gun and you want to continue using it for a long time, you have to maintain the tool properly. Maintaining nailers is not so tough. At least it is not as tough as watching the tool ruined and buying another one. If you maintain the nail gun properly, the tool will last more than 6-7 years. So here are some tips on how to maintain nailers you have.
5 Tips to Maintain Nailers
1. Oil your own nailer: To keep the moving parts of the nailer working, use some light oil on those. This will help the moving parts to function without any major friction. Thus the moving parts will not be damaged quickly.
If you use the tool for a short period of time, oil before starting to use the nailer. Thus you will get efficient nailing work. If you use the tool all day long, use the oil on the moving part twice or thrice in the whole day.
When you will apply light oil on the moving parts of the nailer, make sure that oil is reaching to each corner properly. But don’t use too much oil. Only 3-4 drops will be enough.
Besides oiling the moving parts of the nailers, you have to use some oil in the air fitting of your nailers, where you connect your air hose. 4-5 drops of oil will help the tool to work smoothly. Be sure that you are using a light oil. Using air tool oil is best.
When you will lubricate the air fitting, make sure that the power is cut properly and there is no nail in the nailer. Otherwise, you may face accident.
Some manufacturers have designed nailers which don’t need oil to operate. If this is stated in the user manual or the body of your tool, you don’t need to oil those. Otherwise, use oil in your tool for better performance and longer life.
2. Keep the screws tight: Another thing you have to do to maintain nailers is to keep the screws tight. Continuous use of the nailer may make the screws loose. As a result, the tool may not work properly and your work may get hampered.
If you keep the screws of your nailer tight, it will help to prevent air leakage and ensure you an efficient nailing operation. So it is necessary to check for loose screws and tight those daily. It will be good if you check the screws before inserting battery of joining the tool with an air compressor.
To tighten the screw, use the right sized screwdriver. If you change the screws, make sure that you are using the right sized screws.
3. Keep the feed system clean: The feed system of a nailer should be kept clean. It should be cleaned daily for better operation of the nailer. In case of cleaning the feed system, it is not recommended to use oil. The reason is oil attract dirt and debris. If you clean the feed system with oil, there is a chance of the feed system being jammed quickly because of dirt and debris.
You can use a piece of clean cloth to clean the feed system Make sure that the cloth is not leaving any piece of fabric. Any piece of fabric can cause jam in the feed system.
The best way to clean the feed system is maybe using air. All you have to do is just use compressed air to blow out any dirt or debris that is stuck in the feed system.
4. Inspect the battery: If you are using a nailer which is powered by a battery, check the battery regularly after a few days. Most batteries start to lose the capacity of charging and providing power after a long time of continuous use. Some have expired date too.
So it is important to check the battery regularly for continuous use. If you notice that your nailer can’t hold charge like before, change the battery. Otherwise, you will find your battery dead suddenly at the time of working with that. You have to look for another battery leaving your work unfinished. So it is better to inspect the battery on a regular basis.
I recommend keeping an extra battery. If you keep an extra battery with you, you will be able to use that when the primary battery will die. Professionals do this. They keep an extra battery to use whenever the battery dies.
5. Be the doctor: To maintain nailers, you have to know your gun. The nailer you use is actually your friend in a sense because it helps you to perform your work. You have to be the doctor of your own tool if you want to save your time. So you need to know how to open the tool and clean the inside of the tool. Besides, it will be better if you know to solve nailer problems. It is good to keep knowledge about your nailer. It helps you to solve problems easily and continue nailing.
I suggest opening the tool and cleaning the inside of the tool sometime. Because this will keep the tool running properly. If you clean the inside of the tool on a regular basis, there is less possibility of raising any problem inside the tool.
There are many resources which will show you how to open the tool, clean it and adjust it again. You will also find resources about troubleshooting of nailers. Check those resources in order to be the doctor of your own nailer. It will be more fruitful if you directly learn these from someone.
To maintain nailers is not a tough task, probably I have already said. It has many advantages. Among those, the first advantage is you won’t have to change tools after using 1-2 years. Maintaining the tool regularly will help you to nail flawlessly. So it will be better to maintain your tool regularly for ensuring the best performance of the tool.
To learn about maintaining air compressor, read Tips to maintain air compressors.