Different types of nailers shoot nails which are of different size. Nobody wants to be injured when using this tool, you too. As a result, you have to follow some nail gun safety rules in order to keep yourself safe from any kind of accident. Many people get hurt by power nailers because of avoiding safety rules. If you too do so, you’ll be in a great risk of being injured by your tool. I think you don’t want a hole at any place of your body made by your tool. If you don’t want so, there are some safety steps you can follow to keep yourself safe from your nailer.
Some Nail Gun Safety Rules to Follow
1. Choose the right nailer: In order to be safe from a nailer, try to choose the best nailer for your job. Otherwise, you’ll be disturbed at the middle of your work and might lose your concentration to work. As a result, a mistake might happen and you might get hurt by your tool.
There are a number of nailers available in the market with different specifications depending on work type. Those are divided into different types, such as- framing nailer, roofing nailer, siding nailer etc. In order to know which nailer is right for your job, take a look at different types of nailers.
2. Know your nailer: This is the most important one among all the nail gun safety rules. Before starting nailing as a newbie, you have to read the manual of your tool in order to keep proper information about the tool. There are many precautions and warnings about using the tool. Read those carefully. The knowledge about the tool will help you to be safe as well as increase your confidence about using the tool.
If you are not a newbie, I will recommend you to check the tool first. If there is any problem, fix that first, and then start shooting. Knowing enough information about your tool will make you able to find out any common problem with your tool and fix that.
3. Work with the proper trigger: There are mainly two types of triggers in a nailer- sequential trigger and contact trigger. Sequential trigger is mainly for precised one by one shooting. You have to press the trigger for shooting in this mode. Contact trigger is for quick shooting. You have to make contact between the workpiece and the nose of the gun, the gun will automatically shoot the nail.
If you are a newbie in the field of nailing, it is better for you to use the sequential trigger. The contact trigger is mainly for the professionals for quick working. If you don’t handle the nailer properly, the nose might come to contact with any part of your body and shoot nails. So, it is better to use the sequential trigger. In spite of the slow speed, this mode is safer.
4. Worktime safety: You need to obey some guidelines at the time of working with nailers. Those are given below:
- Never place your hands or any body parts close to the shooting area.
- Remove your fingers from the trigger if you don’t shoot nails. Otherwise, accidental press on the trigger may cause an accident.
- Never use tool with any kind of problem. Even small problems should be fixed before using the nailer.
- Touch the nose of your tool while shooting nails. Otherwise, the nails can be distracted.
- Never shoot nails too close to the edge of the workpiece. If you do so, please pay extra attention to the shooting.
- Do not keep the gun pointed at yourself or anyone, even if for a short break.
- Use clamps to hold the workpiece instead of your hand if possible.
- Use your dominant hand to hold the nailer and shoot.
5. After using safety: Power nailers are sometimes dangerous when they are not at work. Follow the tips below to be safe.
- Never hold your nailer with the help of the wire. This might loosen the joint of the wire.
- Remove the compressor when you are taking a long break.
- Remove the compressor or battery at the time of jam cleaning. Otherwise, accidental press on the trigger may through nails.
- Don’t point the nailer at someone. Any type of accident might occur.
- Don’t use the nailer as a hammer or anything. That tool is only a nailer and the purpose of using the tool is to shoot.
- Put your nailer with calmness. Never throw your nailer instead of putting that carefully.
6. Use safety equipment: There is some equipment which is needed for keeping you safe from nailers and their impacts. Using that safety equipment will reduce the possibility of being injured. For example-
a. Hard hat- Hard hats will keep your head safe from any injury. Hats that construction workers use will work best.
b. Safety goggles- Safety goggles will protect your eyes from any kind of accidents or dangerous elements created from operating the gun. Use the goggles marked ANSI Z87.1 for better safety.
c. Earplugs or earmuffs- Earplugs or earmuffs will protect your hearing. If you use a pneumatic nailer, you need the air compressor. Air compressors produce a sound that may affect hearing.
The nail gun safety rules above will help you to become safe from any accident. If you follow the above rules, maybe you can save your money and time which could be wasted in a doctor’s chamber for any kind of accident made by your nail gun.
Nail guns are something that is really dangerous if you don’t use with proper care. There is a great chance that your nail gun will nail you if you think that this tool is just a plastic gun which shoots water. Being safe is not a tough thing to do but it is very helpful for uninterrupted working. Just follow the nail gun safety rules and you will be safe enough. Accidents don’t come showing that they are coming. So it is better to try to keep yourself as safe as possible.